2010 (# 1)
- Newman and Nail are great! I see Dr. Newman....
Dr. Claude Dubois on Oak St. in Athens,Ga The absolute best!!!
Been going there for almost 20 years.
Dr. Carter is wonderful.
He is a great dentist with great "bedside manner".
Charles Carter - Oglethorpe Avenue
He is GREAT and his staff is wonderful!
I use Mitchell Bridge Dental Associates. Melody Higginbotham, and Dr.
Swann...I can't remember her first name....
They're on Mitchell Bridge Road (Duh)
Melody Higginbotham on Mitchell Bridge Road is EXCELLENT. Their number is 706-548-2651
Higginbothan and Swan (i go to swan)
Martin Blankenship with Athena Dental Associates on Hawthorne ave. He gave me the most thorough consultation I have ever had with a dentist!
Dr. Blankenship was awesome. Very gentle, kind, and considerate. His staff was also great.
- We really like Tim Garrett -- my whole family goes to him. Very nice.
Very personable. And he treats you right -- meaning he just does the right thing, if you know what I mean. For example on my 9 year old
daughter: no need to fill a baby tooth she's gonna lose in 1-4 months, let's do a quick temporary fix since it's not bothering her. I like the economical and practical approach! :-)
Dr. Tim Garrett...great dentist!
Our family has used his services for the last past 9 plus years and have been very satisfied.
He is located next to the ACC water services on Prince.
Dr. Timothy Garrett, DMD - Dentist
598 Prince Avenue
Athens, GA 30601-2451
a.. My husband and I have gone to Dr. Timothy Garrett for over 15 years, and are very pleased. Does good work, has a very competent and nice receptionist, takes the MetLife dental plan offered by UGA. His hygienist Keith Moody is also great. Dr. Garrett does dental work on mission trips to foreign countries too, a plus in my book. Last year, Dr. Garrett waited to see if an ailing tooth root would recover, rather than do immediate root canal work. And it did recover! I liked that he was willing to wait and see.
Chanda Bennett at Bella Dentistry on Mitchell Rd. 706-546-7722
I use Bella Dentistry, and I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THEM! Dr. Chandra Bennett and her staff are great, and so kind. Dr. Bennett's sister, Paula, is the dental hygenist. They will file the insurance for you.
Athena Dental Associates (Dr. Mark Blankenship and his partner, Dr. Len Barker) accept the UGA Dental Plan. They are located on Hawthorne near Prince Avenue. Our entire family have been patients at this practice for more than 20 years. (We saw Dr. Ward at this office before he retired). The entire staff is friendly and professional. I recommend them highly.
Dr. Swan and Dr. Higginbothum are great. They are on the UGA plan. Both ladies have seen me. They only do necessary work.
I am not on the dental plan, but we have used Dr. David Brown in Watkinsville for many years and I highly recommend him. If you call, they can tell you if he takes the UGA insurance. 706.769.7727
Whitney Swann on Mitchell Bridge.
5/09 (recommendations specifically for Dr. Timothy Garrett and Dr. Doug Henson below)
Here are results of my question regarding Eastside dentists who are in our network:
- Dr. Lawrence George and his staff are simply the best. Dr. George is not in
the network, but his office will file your insurance for you and then balance
bill you (which most non-network DMD's won't do).
Dr. Ira Guy. We have been going to him for 15 years.
I use Dr. Ira Guy on Cedar Shoals and he is great!
I have been recommended to Dr. Ben Patrick on the East
side. I will be going to them at the beginning of June.
I use Dr. Dubose,Oak St, on the East side, but I don't know
if he is a full participator in the new dental plan.
I always go to Dr. Dubose who is on Oak Street. He is really nice and
has walk in hours during the week.
Dr. Dubose is excellent. My children have been going to him every since
they were little and they are now teenagers. His office staff is very
friendly and I would highly recommend his services.
I'm not sure about Eastside but Athena Dentist on Hawthorne is
awesome...Especially w/children. Dr. Lane Barker.I know they
take our insurance.(Right across from Bell shoppng ctr).
I like Dr. Phillip Durden in Winterville. He's great!!
I also got a tip about Dr. Gregory Ware (Watkinsville). Possibly not in network
and not on Eastside, but rave reviews about him.
Several people have requested the results from my little survey. The following is all the responses
I received minus a slightly negative one regarding Dr. Garrett. (no explanation was given just said I wouldn't go there...)
Dr. Timothy Garrett
I have been going to Dr. Garret since we started his practice in Athens and have been very pleased with him. It was good with my kids also when they were little. Very personable and easy to talk with.
I go to Dr. Garrett and love him....recommend him!!!
If Dr. Garrett is Dr. Timothy Garrett, I have been going to him for years. I changed when my daughter was about six because another Dr. was trying to do a root canal on a baby tooth. He and his staff are wonderful to deal with. (He will also accept payments instead of having to pay the whole bill off at once.)
I have gone to Dr. Garrett for over ten years ...highly recommend. He is
wonderful...staff very accommodating with scheduling, etc.
My husband and I have gone to Dr. Timothy Garrett for over 15 years, and are
very pleased. Does good work, has a very competent and nice receptionist,
takes the MetLife dental plan offered by UGA. His hygienist Keith Moody is
also great. Dr. Garrett does dental work on mission trips to foreign
countries too, a plus in my book. Last year, Dr. Garrett waited to see if an ailing tooth root would recover, rather than do immediate root canal work. And it did recover! I liked that he was willing to wait and see.
We recently changed to Dr. Garrett and we absolutely love him so far. I
guess we've been there about a year. My husband -- who despises
dentists -- also likes him. My younger children -- who were going to a
pediatric dentist prior to that because they wouldn't open their mouths
for anyone else -- sat right down and opened wide. He has hygentists
who do the cleaning and he does the exam, fillings, crowns, etc. (and
we've had them all) I also like him because he does the "economical"
thing. One of my kids had a spacer at another dentist that was hundreds
of dollars. Dr. G did one that was much, much cheaper -- worked just as
well! I had also chipped a tooth and didn't really want to have it
filled for a couple of weeks later because of medflex or something and
he temporarily fixed me up (no charge) until I could get back in. Nice guy.
I've been going to Dr. Garrett for a little over a year and I really
like his practice. The hygienists are nice and the woman I see is very
gentle. I did sit with his male hygienist once and he offered to do this
"sandblasting" technique in place of the typical polishing. It was
mildly unpleasant but I did actually feel like my mouth was much cleaner
than normal. My husband and I have been happy with them so far.
Dr. Garrett is wonderful and his staff is just as great. You will enjoy the response that you receive from them.
I go to Dr. Timothy Garrett, he is great. I had a root canal done on Monday. He called me Tuesday and check on me. Not many doctors will do that.
Dr. Doug Henson -
Which Henson, Thomas or his son Doug? I've gone to Tom Henson for MANY years and I think he's great.
Hi. I go to Dr. Doug Henson. I am quite happy with him and his office staff. Everyone is pleasant there. The hygienist does a terrific job on my teeth. Dr. Henson is competent, good natured, funny, and professional.......Dr. Henson keeps his prices in line with the insurance payments, too, unlike some dentists.
Dr. Henson has been my dentist for years. I switched to him because the cost of his services was more affordable. His staff is good. Henson himself is a fine dentist.
Dr. Henson is my dentist as was his dad. He's a wonderful dentist and so is his staff.
My husband and I have used Dr. Henson for the past 15 years. He is good. Not always very talkative but his staff is very friendly and professional.
I've gone to Dr. Henson for years and think he is a great dentist. Very personable and knowledgeable.
There are 2 Dr. Hensons in Athens - Tom and Doug. I don't know anything
about Tom, but my husband and I have been going to Dr. Doug Henson for
the last several years and have been very pleased. Ask for Sandra as
your dental hygienist - she is a bit gentler on the gums. Dr. Henson is
a good dentist and very honest. He is the only dentist I have ever seen
that didn't have a money making procedure that he tried to unnecessarily
push on every patient who walked in the door.
Ok here is the break down of responses that I recieved.
Higginbotham and Swann 8 positive
Garrett 4 positive
Simmons 2 positive and 1 negative
The following all got 1 positive
Athena - Dr. Barker
Athens Family Dental
I do not know anything about him [Ira Guy], but Dr. Patrick is near Morningside and
I really like him.
Not on Plan
Burch and Allen 2 positive - Not with MetLife but files the insurance and
you pay the difference if any
|Asked specifically about Recs for Dr. Guy|
- My family and I have been going to Dr. Guy for over 15 years. You name it, we've had it done,
especially my husband. You never have to wait for an appt., which I personally hate to do. He
does accept the UCR on the dental plan and will work with you to prioritize work if you have a lot
that needs to be done (Let's fix that front one first!)
I use Dr. Guy. I started using him last year because he takes the UGA dental plan. I would highly
recommend him and his staff. I had to cancel my cleaning appointment this past month and they
have been great calling me repeatedly when they get a cancellation to get me in. So far the
times have not been convenient for me and they are so pleasant about it. Robin says that she
will keep calling until I can get there. Dr. Guy is very pleasant and has a great personality.
I have never gotten as good an exam from a dentist as I got from Dr. Guy and he will work with
you on any financial situation. I think your mother will be very pleased with him.
- I have been a patient of Dr. Guy's more than 5 years. He does excellent work. The dental
hygienist is great also. He is good working with children (10 year old son) and adults, too.
He became my husband dentist in November. My husband doesn't like going to the dentist but he
thinks Dr. Guy is wonderful!! I hope this information helps you and your mother decide if she
wants to become a patient of his.
- I went to him a couple of times and thought he was too expensive but that was years ago.
- (7/08) Count me as one negative for Dr. Barry Simmons on Milledge Ave. It might be good to note that he has large
parrots/birds in his house/office that tend to screech, which can be unsettling, esp. if you already hate going
to the dentist!! (this isn't the reason for the negative rec, just something people might want to know before
they decide to go there).
We use Dr. Barry Simmons on Milledge Ave. We love him.
Greg Ware in Watkinsville is great and accepts UGA dental insurance.
- We use Dr. Hooper in Danielsville and just love him. His hygienists are terrific, the staff is very helpful, and
he is just the nicest person.
Incidentally, he is also on the Board of Education in Madison County.
Dr Timothy Garrett on Prince Ave. My whole family likes him.
I recommend Dr. Tim Garrett. New office on Prince Avenue. Accepts UGA insurance. And a nice guy!
We go to Timothy Garrett on Prince Ave and the whole family likes him.
James Powell is great: 1720 Epps Bridge Parkway, Athens, GA 30606, (706)
We have gone to Dr. Parkman for years, and he is really good.
I go to Dr. Terry Parkman. He has been my dentist since I was five years old. He does accept UGA insurance. Phone: (706)546-7149.
I go to Dr. Terry Parkman. He's on Sunset which is right off of Hawthorne.
His office number is (706)546-7149.
Dr. Phillip Durden is the dentist that we use. His office is located in Winterville, and he and his staff are wonderful.
I like Emory and Scott Linder - have used them for years, and they as well as their hygienists are great. Phone: 706 549 4244
I highly recommend Doug Henson's office. They do accept UGA insurance.
We go to Douglas Henson Jr. We have gone to the practice for years. They take the UGA insurance.
Dr. Henson. His number is 706-549-3113. Ask for Tracy. She is the receptionist and she is super nice.
I use Dr. Liner over on Gaines School Rd. They accept our insurance and have always been great.
Dr. Charles Cater on Sunset Dr. Excellent! Staff is also amazing! They accept UGA dental insurance
Dr. Jack Newman on N. Milledge Ave., phone 549-2671. He has been our dentist for many years now and we really like him.
Dr. Neil and Newman on Milledge. I have been using them for 15 or more yrs.
I recommend Dr. Albert Shackelford on Oglethorpe Avenue, Athens. Phone:
Our family has been using Dr. Lawrence Georgia, DMD, for many, many years.
Address: 1520-A Jennings Mill Road; Phone: 706-353-1958.
Dr. Lawrence George is great!
Dr. Melody Higginbotham and Dr. Whitney Swann of Mitchell Bridge Dental Associates. I like them both and they accept the Dental Insurance.
Mitchell Bridge Dental Associates. Dr. Melody Higginbotham and Dr. Swann.
I love my dentist office. Dr. Melody Higgenbothem and Dr. Whitney Swann.
Located on Mitchell Bridge Road. Phone: 706-548-2651.
Drs. Higgonbotham and Swann are great! Phone number is 548-2651.
Highly recommend Dr. R. Cole on Gaineschool Rd
I highly recommend Dr. Carter. His office is on sunset.
Rosanna Masciadri on Oglethorpe Ave. Dr. Albert Shackelford on Oglethorpe Avenue. Their number is (706) 353-2298
Try Rice he is on Hawthorne. My kids love him.
This Dental Office is very good. Located pretty close to campus. Billy J.
Goldman, DMD LLC, 1010 Prince Avenue, Athens, GA 30606, (706) 546-7362
Melody Higginbotham/Whitney Swann (5),
Mitchell Bridge Dental,
1171 Mitchell Bridge Road,
- Drs. Higgonbotham and Swann are great, and their staff as well!
the phone number is 548-2651
We go to Timothy Garrett on Prince Ave and the whole family likes him.
I llllooooovvveeeee my dentist. Dr. Henson. He is close to hawthorne
on oglethorpe. By that dry cleaners. I live that way too.
His number is
706-549-3113. Ask for Tracy. She is ther receptionist and she is super
I highly recommend Dr. Carter. His office is on sunset.
He has the best bedside manner of any dentist I have ever been to. And Iíve been going to dentist a really long time :)
Rosanna Masciadri on Oglethorpe Ave.
Dr. Albert Shackelford on Oglethorpe Avenue, which is just off of Hawthorne. Their number is (706) 353-2298
Try Rice he is on Hawthorne. My kids love him.
I go to Dr. Terry Parkman. He has been my dentist since I was five years
old. He's very caring, good at his job, and he does accept UGA insurance.
He's on Sunset which is right off of Hawthorne. His office number is
Dr. Melody Higginbotham at Mitchell Bridge Dental she has one associate; she hope me in 2004 when I had a problem with another local dentist; she is an outstanding dentist and I highly recommend her.
- My daughters and I have been seeing Dr. Melody Higginbotham since we moved here in '94 and I haven't one complaint. She's in practice now with Dr. Whitney Swann.
- Drs. Higginbotham and Swann are great!
- We use Dr. Melody Higginbotham. Her office is on Mitchell Bridge Road. She is wonderful. Her number is 548-2651.
Mitchell Bridge Dental Associates. Dr's Higgenbotham and Swann. Their office is very nice and clean and everyone there is so friendly. I have been nothing but happy since they were recommended to me through this list-serv.
Robert Lowry (3),
1000 Hawthorne Ave #R,
I went to Doctor Robert W. Lowry. He is on Hawthorne Avenue. He is the best dentist I have ever been to. I am 49 years old and he has my teeth in the best shape they have ever been in. He is very personable and competent.
- I just started going to Dr. Robert Lowry on Hawthorne Avenue. He is great! I hadn't been to the dentist in almost six years and was petrified of pain, etc. and he is very gentle and considerate. He was recommended to me by my current boyfriend. He is relatively inexpensive and the office staff is so warm and friendly. I highly recommend him!! I'm getting two cavities filled this afternoon and I'm not even nervous!
- Robert Lowry is the best dentist ever.
Scott Linder (2),
1060 Gaines School Rd # B,
Drs. Linder and Linder are great! Father and son; both very nice and kind. Staff is great, too!
I like Dr. Linder, he is on Gaines School Rd.
Ron Cole (2),
1060 Gaines School Road #A1,
Greg Ware (2),
1031 Village Drive, Watkinsville,
Highly recommend Dr. R. Cole - Gaines School RD.
- I highly recommend Ronald Cole on the Eastside of town. He is a former UGA professor, a bit quirky, but quite good.
You will love Dr. Greg Ware-He is just what you are looking for.
- Dr. Greg Ware in Watkinsville - He's Great!
Barry Simmons (2),
847 S. Milledge Avenue,
Terry Parkman (2),
700 Sunset Blvd, Suite 401,
I love Dr. Barry Simmons. His office is on the lower floor of his home on Milledge Avenue. He and his staff are very friendly.
My family has been going to Dr. Barry Simmons for 20 years. We love him and had many other doctors tell us how skilled they think he is. His office is in an old 'antebellum' type house, located on Milledge Ave. He's always taken very good, personal type care of us.
I see Dr. Terry Parkman. He is very personable and his hygenists are great. The front staff are very nice too.
- We have had fantastic dental services for nearly 8 years from Dr. Parkman. His office is across from Bishop park on Sunset. He is also very good with children.
- I would highly recommend Dr. Doug Henson here in Athens.
- Dr. Johnny Frantz in Watkinsville. He is wonderful
- We've been pleased with the dental care we get from Brian Hall and his staff. His practice is on Prince Ave close to ARMC.
- Been pleased overall with Dr. Durden in Winterville. Leigh, the hygenist in his office who handles the cleanings, is outstanding.
- Regarding your dentist recommendation, I have been going to Dr. Lawrence George for many years and would highly recommend him for all your family's dental needs. Although his office is quite large, he has an excellent office staff and he is one of the most pleasant people you will ever meet (& is so professional!). His office is located on Jennings Mill Parkway which is across the road from Logan's Roadhouse Grill on the Atlanta Highway, or easily accessible from Hwy. 316 at the Oconee Connector. His office phone number is 706-353-1958.
- Don't know if he participates with BCBSGa, but Matt Elder is good.
- I highly recommend Dr. Charles Burch 175 Hawthorne Park, Athens, GA 30606 (706) 353-7860. He is a gentle dentist and very personable. All the personnel at his practice are very friendly, polite and professional. His rates are reasonable and he takes the BOR/BCBS insurance. In addition, he has a finance plan in place for procedures that may not be covered or, in my case, an uncovered family member. I have been seeing Dr. Burch since 1997. My husband is also a patient.
- I really like Tom McDonald (just him in the practice) - he reminds me of the elf who longed to be a dentist in the t.v. "Rudolph" special. He's not someone who couldn't get into med school and so dentistry was his second choice... He is very up to date in all his work, lectures and travels giving talks, etc... He cares about dentistry. Seems to be very respected. He did a wonderful job cosmetically repairing a tooth for me. I also like his dental assistants - all my teeth cleanings have been good experiences. Friendly staff and they work with the UGA dental program.
- I like Dr. Thomas Henson on Oglethorpe Avenue. He has been my dentist since I was 2 (yes, 2). I'm now 36.
- We really like Dr. Larry Hammrick on Atlanta Highway.
- David Hulsey at Five Points. The best - and he did work with us re: insurance, etc. We have BCBS GA.